2016-2017 Confirmation Schedule, St. Paul’s UCC, Trexlertown
Dedication for 2016-2017 confirmands will be during the September 18th worship service.
- The Worship of the Church
- The Ten Commandments
- Prayer and the Lord's Prayer
- The Sacraments
- The History/Mission of the Church
By the conclusion of confirmation, each student will have written their own faith statement.
The confirmands will also plan and lead an entire worship service on Sunday, May 14th, 2017.
Schedule: All classes are held (with noted exceptions) on 2nd/4th Sunday afternoons from 4 - 6 pm
- Sunday, September 18th Pizza with Elders, getting to know each other, 11 am
Sunday, September 25th Acolyte training / Pat Faust and Music/Jane Gibson
Sunday, October 9th Worship, Church / The Sacraments
- Fri/Saturday, October 14th-15th Overnight Retreat
Sunday, October 23rd Breaking down the Bible / what it is/why it is important
- Sunday, November 13th St George Greek (Syrian) Orthodox Church 1011 Catasauqua Road, Allentown, PA, 10 am
- Sunday, November 20th Understanding the Church Year
Friday, December 2nd Keneseth Israel, 2227 Chew Street, at 6:15 pm
Sunday, January 8th, 2017 What are symbols and what are Christian symbols?
Sunday, January 22nd The Ten Commandments and The Beatitudes
Sunday, February 12th Attend meeting of the Church Council, 11 am
Sunday, February 26th What is Prayer / The Lord’s Prayer
Sunday, March 12th The Apostle's Creed and the UCC Statement of Faith
Sunday, March 26th The Life of Jesus
- Fri/Saturday, March 24-25 Overnight Retreat: Who Am I? / Why Be Confirmed?
Sunday, April 9th Holy Week
Sunday, April 23rd History of the United Church of Christ / St Paul’s UCC
Sunday, May 14th Statement of Faith/Plan worship service
- Sunday, May 28th Lead worship; Pizza/Test with Elders; Photos/Practice Sunday, June 4th Confirmation service at 10:30 am
- The September 18th session will be from 11 am – 1 pm, including a pizza luncheon.
- The Fall overnight Retreats begin on Friday at 7 pm and end at Noon on Saturday.
- The confirmands will attend the Sunday worship service at the Greek Orthodox Church.
- This is the only class that will meet the third week of the month, because of Thanksgiving.
- The Spring Retreat begin on Friday at 7 pm and end at Noon on Saturday.
- The May 28th session will be from 11 am – 2 pm, including a pizza luncheon.
Confirmation Sunday: Confirmands are to report to the church basement promptly at 9 am.
The Confirmands will engage in a service project. Date/specifics will be announced.
Confirmands will rotate serving during each worship service. One acolyte each week.
Electives: (Choose any 2)
- Choir/Bell Choir
- Youth Group
- Nursery Attendants (twice during the year)
- Host coffee hour between services (twice during the year)
- Junior Youth Group helper
- Individual Service Project (approved by the pastor)
Requirements for Confirmation:
Attend Confirmation classes. More than 3 absences during year will not be acceptable.
Attend church every Sunday, September 18th, 2016 – May 28th, 2017. (Confirmands are allowed 2 excused absences and 2 unexcused, no other exceptions except under extreme emergency!) Confirmation is an experience that parents and children do together. At least one parent (or other responsible adult) is required to sit with the child in church weekly.
Each confirmand will be mentored by one of the Church Elders.
Write brief summary sermon, turned in to the Elder in charge at end of worship service.
Attend three of the following special church services:
- One of the Christmas Eve services, Saturday, December 24th.
- Maundy Thursday, St. Paul's UCC, April 13th, 2017, 7 pm
- Good Friday, St. Paul's UCC, April 14th, 2017, 7 pm
- Easter, St. Paul's UCC, April 16th, 2017
Complete all paperwork prior to September 18th:
Confirmation Contract, Church Information Sheet, and Emergency Contact form
Memory Work to be completed prior to confirmation:
- The Apostle's Creed, The Lord's Prayer, Psalm 23
Complete – and turn in - their own one-two page faith statement by April 30th.
Year-end review by the Elders on Sunday, May 28th.
Bibles are presented/to the confirmands on Confirmation Sunday.
All electronic devices will be given to the Elder in charge before the worship service. Pastor Al will collect at the beginning of each confirmation class. The electronic devices/cell phones will be returned at the end of the worship service/confirmation class, respectively.